THE ISLAMIC CENTER OF SOUTH FLORIDA
THE MASJID’S ETIQUETTE
Almighty Allah (SWT) says in the Holy Qur’an:
إِنَّمَا يَعْمُرُ مَسَاجِدَ اللَّهِ مَنْ آمَنَ بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ وَأَقَامَ الصَّلَاةَ وَآتَى الزَّكَاةَ وَلَمْ يَخْشَ إِلَّا اللَّهَ ۖ فَعَسَىٰ أُولَٰئِكَ أَنْ يَكُونُوا مِنَ الْمُهْتَدِينَ
”Only those shall maintain Allah’s mosques, who believe in Allah and Last Day,
and establish prayer and give zakat, and fear no one except Allah. They, hopefully, will be among the guided.” (9:18)
A GOOD ADVICE TO EVERY MUSLIM BROTHER AND SISTER WORSHIPERS:
1. Start a good habit (from today) to come to the Mosque more Frequently to perform Salat in Jamaa (in congregation)
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said: “Prayer in congregation is twenty seven times better than prayer prayed individually.” [Sahih Al-Bukhari (645) and Sahih Muslim(650)]
It would seem that this is only for the congregational prayer with the appointed imam.
It is clear from the Sunnah that this distinction is only for the group who pray with the appointed imam in the mosque and not for any other congregation. This is because the hadîth is an encouragement to attend the congregational prayer at the mosque with the appointed imam.
If someone prays with a group of people other than the congregation in the mosque with the appointed imam then he will receive the reward of praying with a group but not the reward of the proper congregational prayer at the mosque.
2. When leaving your home, work or business, Go Toward the Mosque with Eagerness and Enthusiasm for you would be meeting fellow believers who have come to worship Allah.
3. Demonstrate your Eagerness by Showing Good Manners, Wearing Good and Neat Clothes, Being Clean, and Smelling Good.
4. Brothers Should Wear Proper Attire Before Entering the Masjid. No pictures on T-shirts that can distract the people in prayer. No shorts above the knees are allowed for man. The top part of the body should also be covered. Their clothes should show modesty and hayaa.
5. Sisters Should Wear Hijaab At All Time, cover their body with loose clothes: no tight dresses or pants are allowed. Their clothes should show modesty and hayaa. The long skirts are permissible if they are long enough to cover down to the ankles and they are not too tight, not to show the shape of the body.
6. If you have eaten garlic, onions, or anything with Offensive smell etc..Do Not Go to the mosque, Until the Odor from your mouth has Vanished.
7. Make Sure your Feet and you Socks Smell Clean.
8. Never Walk Outside the Masjid Bare Foot Especially if you are Going to the Bathroom or Wudu Area (Avoid Bringing Germs to The Masjid)
9. Don’t Bring Any Food Inside the Masjid
10. If you have a Cold Or Any Contagious Illness, Please care about your brothers and sisters and Don’t Come To the Masjid If you think Anyone Can Get Sick From You.
11. It is totally Forbidden for the one who is in the state of janabat to enter the mosque. Only after having performed the required ghusl(major ablution) can such a person enter the mosque
12. It is Totally Forbidden for a Muslim woman who is in the state of Hayd (Menstruation) to enter the mosque. (For detailed rules on these please refer to books on Islamic Laws)
13. Switch off or Mute your Cell phone. Phone rings irritate other worshippers and can take away the concentration of worshippers including that of the imam.
14. Enter the Mosque with Humility and Submissiveness For it is The House of Allah (swt) frequented by angels and believers.
15. Greet the Believers and Angels with the Best of Greetings and a Smiling Face. Please note that if the believers are engaged in the Salat or when the Imam is making Khutba Al Jumua, it is not advisable to greet them.
16. Perform 2 Rak’at Prayer as a gesture of greeting and respect to the Mosque.
17. While in the Mosque Keep your Focus On None Other Than Allah (swt) , as He says in the Qur’an:
وَأَنَّ الْمَسَاجِدَ لِلَّهِ فَلَا تَدْعُوا مَعَ اللَّهِ أَحَدًا
”Surely the mosques are for Allah (alone); so do not pray to anyone with Allah.” (72:18)
18. Keep the Mosque Clean, Tidy and Smelling Fresh. It is a good habit whenever you come to the masjid to be keen and willing to pick up a trash and put it in the Garbage can even if it is just a piece of paper or an empty can of soda you find laying on the floor. Allah will give you hassana in shaa Allah for your good concern and good action by participating in keeping the house of Allah clean and tidy. After all, anything good you do is first of all in your account with Allah Subhanah
19. Spend as Much Time In The Mosque As Possible as the Prophet (SAS) said to Abu Dharr: ”As long as you are seated in the mosque, for every breath you take Allah will give you a rank Paradise and the angels are praying for you.”
20. It is Obligatory to Make the Rows Straight in Salat Al Jamaa (Congregational Prayer)
The Lines should be Straight, your heels should be aligned with and touching the heels of the persons you are praying next to to your right and to your left. Your shoulders should also be aligned with and touching theirs. There should not be any gap between you and them.
Islam pays a great deal of attention to the rows of worshippers, as it has enjoined straightening the rows and speaks clearly of the virtue and importance of straightening them.
It was narrated from Anas ibn Maalik (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Straighten your rows, for straightening the rows is part of perfecting prayer.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 690; Muslim, 433. According to another report narrated by al-
Bukhaari 723: “Straighten your rows, for straightening the rows is part of establishing prayer.”
The Prophet (May Peace and Blessing be upon Him) said “Make the rows straight and do not differ, or your hearts will differ.” Narrated by Muslim, 432.
And in other narrations He said: “Slaves of Allaah! Make your rows straight or Allaah will cause discord among you.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 717;Muslim 436
21. When bringing young children who cannot discern right from the wrong, into the mosque, Ensure that they are under your Continuous Care andSupervision – both for the Respect of the Mosque and for Those Present in it.
22. Avoid Worldly Talks inside the Masjid, and Be Quite not to disturb the People who pray or are in the masjid doing Dikr or Reading The Quran.
23. Carrying out Business Transactions in the Mosque is Abhorrent (Big makruh).
24. When you take an Item to read, Return It to its original place (e.g. book case) before you leave the Masjid.
25. Do Not Remove Or Take Away Anything Belonging To The Mosque. If you need to borrow an item temporarily then ensure that you have sought permission from the Trustee or a keeper of the Center.
26. No One Is Allowed to Sell Anything In All Masjid Compound Without the Authorization From the Administration.